Earlier this morning I finally bothered to install OpenBSD VM in my main desktop to be used as main dev system. With NFS from main server as its main storage. Except it was kind of slow so that project is scrapped and now being replaced with Debian. Or maybe I’ll try FreeBSD later.
That’s not the point of this post though. The problem is soon after I boot the new VMs, my network started acting up. It randomly disconnects every once in a while. It disconnects so often it’s not even funny.
Here’s the error message in Windows Event Log:
ネットワーク インターフェイス "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" はリセットを開始しました。ハードウェア リセットの間にネットワーク接続が一時的に中断します。理由: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands。このネットワーク インターフェイスは、最後に初期化されてから 57 回リセットされました。
I tried various drivers and none of them seem to help. It’s mostly fine if I’m only running single Windows VM.
The only other ethernet card I have is yet another Realtek but I figured might as well try it and see how it goes.
And pretty well so far it goes. No disconnect so far. Hopefully this will continue to work until my 10GbE cards arrive. Which then it’ll be FUN TIME 🌈
I’m getting it from a US seller through ebay though so it’ll take a while until it arrives.
I don’t remember what I did last few days in JP. I think it’s just farming mana prism as usual.
A new event coming in two days. That should be interesting.
Cleared challenge quest. Yay. Used one command spell though.
Then again NA is supposed to be effortless playthrough. Except I’m still lacking a bunch of servants and CEs to make it truly effortless.
End result for lottery boxes is 37 boxes combined. Not too bad, I guess. I still need a lot more mats and exp cards and everything though.
FGO Babylonia anime campaign in NA giving out free ☆4 servant is nice surprise. My shortlist at the moment is either Saber Alter (NP2), Nitocris (NP2), or Helena (NP1). Limitedness-wise I should go with Saber Alter. Maybe I’ll just do that.
Setsubun event is coming next week. I think last time I did it with a paid account NP1 Okita. No Okita or ☆5s this time around so I wonder how I’ll fare.
I tried the RTL8111C which was half the speed under FreeBSD in Windows.
Using Windows’ built-in driver (Windows 8) resulted in similar performance (900 Mbps send, 600 Mbps receive) but installing the driver from Realtek website resulted in way better performance at 900 Mbps both ways.
I got similar result under Windows 10 for a different system with onboard Realtek chip. The lesson is make sure to install manufacturer’s driver it seems.
Also interesting the driver name says TP-Link gigabit card instead of Realtek. The card is indeed a TP-Link card but I don’t often see brand-specific name come up from a generic chip driver.
Now I wonder how it performs under other operating systems. Maybe I’ll try it sometime later.
Finished the challenge quests. I didn’t want to think too much about the second one so I used Merlin. The first one wasn’t too difficult though I did use Orion because I was a bit curious how he’ll perform. He sure deals a lot of damages.
Did 55 rolls and got 5 ☆4 CE and nothing else. That was terrible.
Da Vinci event has started. Grind all day every day. Or more like this weekend because the best node isn’t open yet and I don’t have enough CEs.
Just a warning, if you’re planning to use Vultr VPS on JP region, its routing to Europe might be less than optimal. It certainly is on my instances (booted up another one just now and the result is the same).
Update: looks like the routing to Vultr European servers from Japan is fucked up regardless. Although with Vultr, connection to Europe is constantly fucked up instead of only sometimes with other connection (my home connection).
Update update: Sometimes it’s got better routing with Vultr while worse with home connection. I don’t know what’s going on anymore.
Earlier this week I noticed the two mirrored SSDs in my main server is close to dying.
One of them has started reallocating sectors even though it’s only got a bit over 150 TB written. It’s specced at 150 TBW warranty though so I guess it’s just about time.
That said, the other one has over 220 TB written yet it still has no problem. This one is rated for 204 TBW so it also already passed its specification.
The reason for those stupid write number is because I probably have used them as ZFS cache drives. I think I killed two other drives in similar fashion last year. I stopped doing it a while back but it was a bit too late.
I haven’t installed them yet as the server doesn’t have NVMe slots and the PCI-e to NVMe adapters I ordered have not arrived. Thanks, Amazon 😐
I don’t actually know if they will work at all. I don’t think the BIOS supports NVMe boot and I’m not sure if the commonly suggested method of using Clover Boot will work for FreeBSD. It theoretically should be fine but who knows…