Apparently this post actually get posted before my connection died (some kind of karma? lol).
Oh right some of these below are made up by me. It may or may not be correct. Corrections are welcome.
Well, I lost interest in this so I’ll just make a list (actually I’m lazy to begin with)
- Does not run foobar2000 properly
- Actually, it doesn’t run foobar2000 natively
- Doesn’t have Photoshop (no GIMP kthx)
- Doesn’t have port of games I’m playing
- I trust program that’s designed for specific platform more than some random people porting the app for their distro (up to some level)
- One of the best thing about OpenSolaris? VirtualBox for OpenSolaris is actually fully supported (and doesn’t conflict with distro’s repository nor you need to exclude things from repository)
- Promoted as desktop os but does not want to dump the server capabilites (which I doubt if even Windows has)
- Does not suspend (certain 8 years old OS got this working for me without problem)
- Does not standby (certain 8 years old OS got this working for me without problem)
- WRT suspend/hibernate, it seems to be needing some hacks before it can be run properly. There are some hacks, but apparently none of them works properly. Broken choices – sounds like Linux (certain 8 years old OS got this working for me without problem)
- Last time I made hibernate (or was it suspend?), the other function still doesn’t work
- WRT 11 and Intel driver, people blames distro (for packing such crappy driver), distro blames Xorg (as it’s Xorg that becomes slow), Xorg blames Intel (for ‘breaking’ the driver), Intel blames distro (for not updating to their latest and greatest driver). Go figure
- It just doesn’t work for me
- It’s actually heavier for GUI tasks on lower-end machines (last time I checked my freshly installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Celeron 1GHz and 768MB of RAM runs nothing but process manager at 90% cpu)
- The themes sucks
- WRT 6: installing PostgreSQL 8.3.x on CentOS 5.3 is fun
- WRT 16: hey Linux guys, why don’t you let the software developers themselves create the repository for your distro? Huh, it won’t work because there are too many distros? So much for choice
- WRT 17: last time I checked, unless you want to break your system you can’t add new software to your old Linux installation. But it seems I can still install latest software in my current OS of choice which is 8 years old. So, Linux’s highly touted easy software installation isn’t that easy afterall?
- Oh right, I got into problem with Linux that’s to some people’s decision to exclude blowfish as accepted password hash in libc. Some people made libxcrypt so it seems I’m not alone
Oh right some of these above are made up by me. It may or may not be correct. Corrections are welcome.
[ citation needed ]